Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Our Purpose

Yesterday, on our way to New York, my girlfriends (of 500 years friendship.....LOL) and I had a conversation about our careers. I plan to go to law school next year and both of my friends are in the healt care sector. Some would consider that the "high road", but for African (read: Nigerian) folks, there is nothing more satisfying than a good ol' professional career. However, we moved on to the subject of what we called "alternative career choices", because to us as Nigerian born and bred young women anything outside the professional fields is definitely alternative. We explored ideas and I mentioned, of course, my desire to run my own magazine.

That conversation suddenly had me thinking this morning about purpose. We are all created with a purpose and a destiny. There is a seal that God has put on each one of us that no one else can have. If I do not contribute my portion to the earth, no one will be able to give it exactly in the way that I would have. That, my friends, is my greatest fear: that I will leave this earth without fulfilling the purpose(s) for which I was created. This is why everyday I ask God to make my path as clear as possible.

More than anything too, I am learning that the road to God, purpose and fulfillment are full of many obstacles. God, does promse us though in Isaiah 45: 2 & 3 that "I will go before thee and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass and cut in sunder the bars of iron: And I will give thee the treasures of darkness and hidden treasures of secret places, that thou may know that I, the Lord, WHICH CALL THEE BY NAME, am the God of Israel." (capitals mine) If we are walking along te path that He has called us to, no matter what obstacles are in our way or what challenges we face, He will take us farther than we would ever imagine. Live in purpose!!! Revel and dance with it. The day is ours :)

No comments: